My first virtual trip to New York scored me 10 Foursquare badges over 2 days. I’ve since accomplished many other such online expeditions; in Chicago, in Pennsylvania, California and a few more to NYC – each with the primary purpose of unlocking more Foursquare badges.
This 1st virtual trip in New England started off with the release of new 2012 ski season badges on the East Coast. While I was unlocking these, I took advantage of the situation to discover new venues to level up expertise badges.
Here is 1 new badge unlocked in Newry, Maine
- Sunday River 2012: Congrats on shredding the mountain like a true local – you’ve just earned yourself the Sunday River 2012 Badge! Wear it proudly.
- You need to follow the Sunday River account on Foursquare and make 1 checkin at the resort during the 2011-12 ski season. This badge was unlocked at Sunday River Ski Resort in Newry, ME
- Welcome back! (You haven’t been to Sunday River Ski Resort since January) (+2)
- Swarm bonus (+4)
- Back in Maine (+3)
- The Mayor is in the house! (+2)
Here are 2 new badge unlocked in Manchester, New Hampshire
- Diner Level 3: Sticky vinyl booths, bottomless mugs of joe, apple pie fresh out of the display case… Does that waitress have syrup on her hairnet? Sounds like diner heaven to us. Now, treat yourself to onion rings. Or a milkshake. We suggest both. You’ve been to 10 different diners! The next level is only 5 more new diners away! Milkshake city!
- You need to visit 5 new diners to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, NH
- First check-in at Red Arrow Diner ! (+3)
- First of your friends to check in here (+2)
- That’s 3 days in a row at diners ! (+2)
- Toys R Us Holiday 2011: Congratulations on unlocking the Toys”R”Us Holiday Shopping Badge! Text FOURSQ to 78697 to receive 15% OFF your purchase of $150 or more on your next visit. Offer Valid 11/27-12/3
- Il s’agit de suivre Toys R Us sur Foursquare et faire un checkin le vendredi noire in une succursale américaine. Ce badge fut débarré in Toys R Us in Nashua, NH
- Black Friday bonus! (+3)
- First time at Toys R Us (+3)
- First of your friends to check in here (+2)
Here are 2 new badge unlocked in Mount Snow, VT
- Mount Snow 2012: Looks like you’ve found the best skiing and riding in southern Vermont. Don’t stop there. Keep checking in to unlock great specials all around the mountain. And enjoy our new Bluebird Express – America’s only six passenger bubble lift.
- You need to follow the Mount Snow account on Foursquare and make 1 checkin at the resort during the 2011-12 ski season.
- Herbivore Level 3: No dilemma for you – it’s veggies all the way. Now treat yourself to a Tofurky club and a shot of kombucha. After all, you’ve joined the esteemed ranks of Brad Pitt and Katy Perry. And Gandhi. That’s 10 different vegetarian spots! Chow down at 5 new places to unlock Level 4. Mm…fiber.
- Il You need to visit 5 new vegetarian restaurants to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Vegetarian Paradise in Brattleboro, Vermont
Here are 7 new badge unlocked in Burlington, VT
- Pizzaiolo Level 7: No crust goes without proper inspection, no cheese-to-sauce ratio is left unquestioned, no distance is too far on the quest to find the perfect slice – it’s connoisseurs like you that make the pizza wheel go ‘round. That’s 30 different pizza places! Celebrate with a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles viewing party. Visit 5 new spots to get to Level 8. Kowabunga!
- You need to visit 5 new pizzerias to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at American Flatbread in Burlington, VT
- Swimmies Level 5: Hey now! You sure like checking in near the water. Let’s hope this isn’t followed-up by unlocking our “Unlucky Shark Attack” badge. You’ve been to 20 swim spots! Visit 5 new places to unlock Level 6. Cannonball contest?
- You need to visit 5 new pools or beachs to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Starr Farm Beach in Burlington, Vermont
- Handmade Hero Level 4: Warm up the glue gun, sharpen your scissors and lay out some pipe cleaners – cause somebody’s about to make something awesome! Sure hope it’s a papier-mâché dinosaur! You’ve been to 15 different craft spots! You make all your own birthday cards, don’t you? Go to 5 new places to unlock Level 5.
- You need to visit 5 new arts & crafts shops to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Michaels Arts and Crafts in South Burlington, VT
- Dog’s Best Friend Level 4: Woof! Woof woof woof woof woof! Woof! Woof woof! That’s 15 different dog runs! You must really love your pup. Or new badge levels. Either way, we like it. 5 more and you’ll unlock Level 5.
- You need to visit 5 new dog parks to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Starr Farm Dog Park in Burlington, VT
- Fixer Upper Level 4: Whether you’re here for 1/4″ electro-galvinized roofing nails or that hammer-machine-saw-thingy, here’s to getting stuff done! You’ve been to 15 different hardware shops! Treat yourself to a new circular saw. Unlock Level 5 by going to 5 new places.
- You need to visit 5 new hardware stores to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Home Depot in Williston, VT
- Vinyl Level 3: “You spin me right round, baby, right round. Like a record, baby, round round round round.” Congrats on finding one of the last record stores in the world! 10 different record stores? Looks like we’ve got an audiophile in the house. Visit 5 new ones to unlock Level 4.
- You need to visit 5 new record shops to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at Burlington Records in Burlington, VT
- Blue Note Level 3: Miles, Monk, Mingus, Max. Duke, Dizzy, Django. Benny and Bird. Louis and Lady Day… You could go on, but you’re no high-hat. Now, don’t be shy – grab your sax and jump on stage for a quick on-stage jam sesh! *snap* *snap* That’s 10 different jazz spots! Who’s the big cheese now? Visit 5 new places to unlock Level 4
- You need to visit 5 new jazz bars to move from one level to the next. This badge was unlocked at The Monkey House in Winooski, VT
If you haven’t already done so, I invite you to check out all my other virtual trips with Foursquare, or better yet, my Foursquare Encyclopedia:
North American East Coast:
- 1st virtual tip in New York
- 2nd virtual trip
- Virtual Pennsylvania trip
- 3th virtual trip
- 4th virtual trip
- 5th virtual trip
- 6th virtual trip
- 7th virtual trip
- 8th virtual trip
- 9th virtual trip
- 10th virtual trip
- 11th virtual trip
- 12th virtual trip
- Virtual trip in Montreal
- 13th virtual trip
North American Central & West Coast:
- Virtual Chicago Trip
- West Coast virtual trip
- 2nd virtual trip
- 3rd virtual trip
- 1st Austin virtual trip
- 5th series of West Coast mini virtual trips