My first virtual trip to New York scored me 10 Foursquare badges over 2 days. I’ve since accomplished many other such online expeditions; in Chicago, in Pennsylvania, California and a few more to NYC – each with the primary purpose of unlocking more Foursquare badges.
My last trips to the West Coast generated very few badges. I can unlock most new badges near home on the East Coast. I thought I’d do better this time around, but not really. Here are the 10 most recently unlocked badges in Central and Western USA – covering May through to November 2011!
Here are 2 badges unlocked in Los Angeles, California, in May and November 2011:
- Victoria’s Secret – Bombshell: You’re one, two, three times a Bombshell! And we’ve got a secret—we’ve got a crush on YOU! You’ll first need to follow Victoria’s Secret sur Foursquare and make 3 checkins at recommended venues. This badge was unlocked at Cheebo in Los Angeles, CA.
- LA Weekly: You have hit some of the coolest joints in LA. Accept this small token of hipness on behalf of LA Weekly. You’ll first need to follow L.A. Weekly on Foursquare and make 3 checkins in recommended venues. This badge was unlocked at Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles, CA.
Here is 1 badge unlocked in San Diego, California, in July 2011:
- Comic-Con2011 : Ahhhh… you can actually smell the midi-chlorians in the air. Hustle over to the South Park Experience at 1st and J Street and show this badge to score a South Park t-shirt. Hurry, they’re going fast! You needed to make 1 checkin Between July 21st and 24th at the South Park Fan Experience at ComicCon San Diego to earn this badge.
Here is 1 badge unlocked in Palo Alto (near San Francisco), California, in November 2011:
- College GameDay: Jump! Scream! Keep this crowd AMPED! You’re officially part of College GameDay. Now head on over to our Environmentality tent and show this badge for a t-shirt courtesy of Coach Corso. You earned it! You’ll first need to follow ESPN on Foursquare, and make a checkin at the stadium where they crew is spending the week. This badge was unlocked at College GameDay at Oval Park in Palo Alto, CA when Oregon State played at Stanford.
Here is 1 badge unlocked in Denver, Colorado, in November 2011:
- Westword: You experienced some of the coolest joints in Denver. Accept this small token of hipness on behalf of Westword. You’ll first need to follow Westword Ave on Foursquare and make 3 checkins to a specific category or recommended venues. Attention, it took me 12 checkins to get this. I believe some venues while others don’t. This badge was unlocked at Fillmore Auditorium in Denver, CO.
Here are some badges unlocked in cental USA :
Here are 3 badges unlocked in Chicago, Illinois, in September and October 2011
- Windy City: From wolfing down Dat Donuts to strolling through Ping Tom Park to worshipping at the altar of MJ, you’ve traversed the City of Big Shoulders, checking in at five Chicago hotspots. And by hot, we mean gusty. They don’t call it the Windy City for nothing. You’ll first need to follow the Mayor of Chicago on Foursquare and make 5 checkins at his recommended venues. This badge was unlocked at Co-Prosperity Sphere in Chicago, IL
- The Conan Blimp 2011: You’ve spotted The Conan Blimp! Fall to your knees and weep with joy! (Now get up from your knees and visit www.teamcoco.com for more Conan). You’ll first need to follow Team COCO on Foursquare and make 1 checkin when you see the Conan Blimp in the sky or when you know it’s there. This badge was unlocked at The Conan Blimp 2011 in the suburbs of St-Louis, Illinois.
- Spooky Swarm 2011: Your band of monsters is strong. Zombies to your left, vampires to your right, and that guy in the corner who keeps yelling “#Winning.” Just be careful on your way out… you don’t want to run into that slutty Chilean Miner. You need to make a checkin at a halloween party with 50+ other people that have also checked in and shout ”happy halloween”. This badge was unlocked at Spooky Halloween 2011 Place in Bloomingdale, IL.
Here is 1 badge unlocked in Tempe, Arizona in September 2011:
- Sun Devil Super Fan: Congratulations! You are a Sun Devil super fan. People may start to confuse you for Sparky with all that spirit. You’ll first need to follow Arizona State University on Foursquare and make 7+ checkins to recommended venues around campus. This badge was unlocked at ASU Memorial Union in Tempe, AZ. ATTENTION: YOU CAN ONLY UNLOCK 1 COLLEGE FAN BADGE.
Here is 1 badge unlocked in College Station, Texas in July 2011:
- College Munchies: Nom Nom Nom. That’s 5 check-ins at campus dining halls. You must be a Grilled Cheese connoisseur. You deserve a TV Show! You need to make 5 checkins at any university cafeteria or eatery.
I invite you to consult my other virtual trip posts from New York and Chicago, as well as to learn more about Foursquare; how it works, available resources, its numerous usage stats,) and to become my friend on Foursquare.