Quick description : What are you doing (right now)?
- In 2010, 26 million Americans, 1 in 7, will use Twitter (eMarketer)
- Twitter’s growth over the past 12 months was 1222%, growing from 1,466 million in November 2008 to 19,379 million in November 2009 (comScore)
- 43% of Quebecers have heard of Twitter (AdHoc research May-June 2009)
- The top 3 personalities on Twitter (Ashton Kutcher, Ellen DeGeneres and Britney Spears) have more fans combined than the entire population of Austria, Ireland, Panama and Norway.
- Since April 2009, Twitter receives an average 20 million unique visitors monthly according to certain sources.
- The site has between 6 and 10 million active accounts worldwide
- Monthly, there are 19.7 million Americains on Twitter (Compete Inc 9 June 2009), from 0.15% reach in September 2008 to 1.84% in September 2009 (HitWise)
- 3.4 million Canadians, 303 000 francophones, use Twitter (comScore 2009/07)
- The more connected devices (to the Web) you own, the more likely you are to use Twitter (PEW). 54% of people with 4 or more devices update their status daily, 28% for those with only 3 devices, 19% with 2 devices and 10% with 1 device.
- 42% of Quebecers are aware of Twitter. (SOM Branchez-Vous)
- The average age of Twitter users is 31
- Men and women follow roughly the same number of people on Twitter. However, men are followed by 15% more people than women (HarvardBusiness.org, June 2009)
- Regular users are mostly women at 57% (InformationIsBeautiful.net)
- 9% of SMBs use Twitter (BIA/Kelsey research)
- 42% of users are between 18-34 years old, 28% between 35-49, 17% are over 50, 13% are between 12-17 (Solutions Research Gr.)
- The top users are:
- Asthon Kutcher – 3,78 million followers
- Ellen DeGeneres – 3.50 million followers
- Britney Spears – 3.49 million followers
- CNN – 2.8 million followers
- Kim Kardashian – 2.78 million followers
- Twitter – 2.48 million followers
- Ryan Seacrest – 2.44 million followers
- John Mayer – 2.41 million followers
- Shaq – 2.38 million followers
- Oprah – 2.34 million followers
- 2% of Quebecers use Twitter (SOM Branchez-Vous)
- 0.7% of total users have more than 1000 followers (Agent Wildfire)
- More women users than men in the US (Pew Fall 2009), more African Americans use Twitter and whites or Hispanics, ratio-wise.
- 10% of baby boomers were active on Twitter in September 2009 (eMarketer via Six Pixels of Separation)
- According to Sysomos, 5% of users generate 75% of total Twitter activity. Tuesday is the busiest day of the week followed by Wednesday and Friday.
- 19% of Americans use Twitter regularly (PEW)
- Visits to the site increase 2000% between August 08 and 09 (HitWise US).
- 80% of Twitter usage is via a mobile device. People update their status constantly, from anywhere. Can you imagine how quickly a bad client experience can spread?
- 60% of users use only from their computer, 27% tweet daily, 46% check their updates daily (eMarketer 30Octobre2009)
- 85% prefer tweeting from their computer worldwide (eMarketer 16Novembre2009)
- 54% of bloggers publish a post or tweet daily.
- 27% of users use an application to Tweet, not Twitter.com
- Twitter users click more on ads and on social networks (20% vs 9%) – (Interpret Study)
- Approx 3 million tweets are sent daily
- Only 2% of users have more than 100 « followers » (DSForest – 9Oct09)
- Twitter (17%) is the 3rd highest valued social tool for marketers behind LinkedIn (26%) and Facebook (23%) (Unisfair).
- Twitter 101 for business (Thanks to PatrickLauzon)
- 10% of visits to NYTimes.com come from Twitter – it’s no longer an option.
- 1 out of 350 visits to a website in the UK come from Twitter according to HitWise.
- 99% on online retailers have a Twitter account
- Twitter users are more likely to follow a business than other social networks users (20% vs 11%) – (Interpret Study)
- 44% of users have recommended a product on Twitter (Vivaki Nerve Center)
- 39% of users have discussed a product on Twitter (Vivaki Nerve Center)
- 48% of users that have seen a brand on Twitter have searched it in a search engine, 34% searched it on a social network (Vivaki Nerve Center)
- The Top 50 brand mentions on Twitter in any given 24 hours period are available here in real time. Here are the Top10 for October 20th 2009
- Twitter – 124 471 mentions
- Youtube – 33 090 mentions
- Facebook – 32 967 mentions
- Google – 32 581 mentions
- iPhone – 32 120 mentions
- MySpace – 16 345 mentions
- Apple – 13 653 mentions
- Blackberry – 11 713 mentions
- Digg – 9 613 mentions
- Fox – 8 018 mentions
- 20% of Tweets are invitations to more info on a product, answers or questions related to a brand (Penn State)
- 9% of US SMBs have used Twitter in the last year (BIA/Kelsey), this climbs to 16% for those who’ve existed only for 3 years or less, but falls to 2% for those that have been around for over 11 years.
- Dell nears 7$ million in sales directly attributable to Twitter, without any particular strategy (active since 2006 (Huffington Post)
- Twitter and Facebook exert an influence (28%) on Holiday shopping (comScore) (merci @lucdupont)
Twitter Search in plain English:
- Twitter is already a term in the English dictionary.
- USA Today estimates that Twitter is worth $600 millions.
Also see Social Media Stats here.